Skip to Content

Woman left fighting for her life after drinking coffee filled with insects at airport

After lifting the lid of the coffee cup, she was met with a shocking sight

A 21-year-old woman was left struggling to breathe after drinking an insect-infested coffee at a Spanish airport.

The anonymous worker was waiting to board a flight from Son Sant Joan airport near Mallorca, on April 22.

It’s not unusual for airline staff to have a caffeinated considering how much time they spend working in the air, and this woman was no different.

She approached the in the airport, and once the cup had stopped filling up, she took a sip of her drink, only to notice it didn’t taste like you would expect a coffee to.

Upon lifting the lid to check if the drink looked OK, she was greeted with the sight of insects floating around in her cup.

The woman purchased the coffee from a vending machine. (Fiordaliso/Getty Stock Image)

The woman purchased the coffee from a vending machine. (Fiordaliso/Getty Stock Image)

It didn’t take long for the effects of this to show, as the woman was soon thrown into .

This caused her face to swell up and her throat to narrow, making it difficult for her to breathe. She was also left with swelling on various other parts of her body.

Staff at the airport’s health service were able to administer adrenaline alongside other drugs in the hopes that they would tackle the allergic reaction.

The woman was then taken to hospital and spent 36 hours in intensive care but was luckily discharged two days after the terrifying ordeal.

According to local publication Ultima Hora, the family of the 21-year-old have filed a complaint to National Police against the airport for allowing their services to be infected in such a life-threatening way.

The woman's family have said it was a crime against public health. (Ultima Hora)

The woman’s family have said it was a crime against public health. (Ultima Hora)

In their statement, they emphasise that this infestation case should be taken as a crime against public health, which had severe consequences and resulted in reckless injuries.

The family also accused the airport staff of failing to make sure the machine was safe for use and did not check or maintain hygiene standards for customers.

The vending machine has now been marked as out of use.

Anaphylactic shocks are usually able to be treated with drugs that control the allergic reaction, but according to Gov.UK, they still kill 20-30 people per year.

LADbible Group contacted Son Sant Joan airport and the National Police for comment.

And this isn’t the only stomach-turning discovery as of late after a .

The unnamed Florida native told First Coast News: “Over a couple hours my face just started swelling, my lips swelled, I could hardly talk. My whole face felt like it was on fire.

“I started getting nose bleeds, constant nose bleeds. I couldn’t even get up to go to the bathroom without my nose starting to bleed.

“When I went for the examination the doctor says, ‘I see movement’.”

The patient was given an anti-parasitic as well as a special anti-parasitic rinse to clean his nose and will be evaluated as many as four times a year but is expected to make a full recovery.